There are so many different tampon brands and it can be confusing and difficult to find good tampons. Finding the right tampon is important because using one that’s unsuitable can result in dryness and discomfort, with the possibility of leaks if it’s too small. Finding the right tampon is a very personal decision and we’ve listed the top tampon brands and tampons below so that you can find the perfect one for your needs.
Tampax is one of the best-known tampon brands in the world. They deal primarily in offering a wide range of tampons to suit various needs. Tampax tampons are available in scented or unscented varieties and some popular products include:
- Tampax Cardboard: These traditional applicator tampons are housed in a cardboard applicator. Intended for daily use over the course your period, many women have one or two of these floating around in their purses.
- Tampax Pearl: A newer take on the applicator tampon, these plastic applicators are super smooth and are meant for easier insertion. A special feature of this variety is the quiet wrapper, designed for discretion.
- Tampax Pearl Compak: These tampons are the same size as the regular Pearl options, but come with a smaller applicator that extends when you use it. These are intended to be easier to carry around without others noticing.
All Tampax tampons come in the following absorbency varieties (the measurements are the same for all tampon brands):
- Regular: Which is for a normal flow between 6g and 9g
- Super: Heavier flows of 9g to 12g
- Super Plus: For days between 12g and 15g that require added absorbency
Similar to Tampax, Playtex sells a range of tampons that will be familiar to many women. Of the tampon brands listed, Playtex is known for having two simple options:
- Playtex Gentle Glide: An applicator tampon with a plastic casing. This tampon is intended to have a comfortable fit, both with the applicator and the tampon itself as it expands. This is Playtex’s regular tampon and is meant for average use throughout your period.
- Playtex Sport: Specifically designed to accommodate active women, this tampon contours to your body so that there is no risk of embarrassing leaks while swimming, running, or engaging in any activity where leaks may be a risk with a regular tampon.
Playtex also offers tampons in both scented and unscented varieties and absorbency ranging from Regular to Super Plus.
Kotex is a brand that focuses on positivity and balance, and their tampons reflect this. Kotex tampons are all about being comfortable during your period and so they aim to provide a great fit. Kotex sells two kinds of tampons:
- Kotex Natural Balance Security: These are applicator tampons in a softer plastic case and are similar to the Tampax Pearl range. Unlike many tampons, these are unscented and are made from natural cotton. They are a good option for women who are more sensitive to scented products.
- U by Kotex: This extendable applicator tampon is the same as the product above. It simply comes in a colorful plastic applicator which makes a clicking sound when it is fully extended. This is a good option for beginners or those unfamiliar with applicator tampons.
Like other tampon brands, Kotex sells tampons ranging in absorbency from Regular to Super Plus.
Of the most popular tampon brands, O.B. is the only brand which makes non-applicator tampons. Non-applicator tampons are different because they do not come with a cardboard or plastic application system. Instead O.B. tampons are sealed in a wrapper and must be inserted manually. Since they don’t have an applicator they result in less waste, which means they are better for the environment.These tampons are intended for someone who is eco-friendly and comfortable dealing with their bodily functions. Unlike the other brands, O.B. extends its absorbency from Regular to Super Plus with the additional option of Ultra for flows between 15 and 18g.